People with medical conditions should monitor their bodily changes and consume healthy food to boost the immune system. Individuals undergoing chemotherapy are more likely to suffer from multiple complications. Therefore, it is necessary to consume food to help them feel strong. They must consult the nutritionist in Lahore regarding the diet plan to help them cope while undergoing the treatment.
The foods that the patient undergoing chemotherapy must consume include:
- Fish: Fish is a rich source of omega 3 that helps prevent irrational weight loss and boost the immune system. Hence, consuming proteins in the form of fish are beneficial for cancer patients.
- Whole-Grain Crackers: The patients undergoing chemotherapy are more likely to remain nauseous and suffer from diarrhea. It can cause complications; hence, it is essential to consume salty whole-grain crackers as they are easy to digest in provide energy to cope with the body changes.
- Smoothies: The patients with mouth sies cannot consume solid food that can cause weight loss and weaken the immune system. Hence, homemade smoothies with fruits, vegetables, and nuts can help provide the necessary nutrients to the body.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables and broccoli are healthy for a cancer patient as they strengthen the immune system. They help fight against infections that can lead to further complications. Also, broccoli contains sulforaphane which reduces the chances of brain damage due to inflammation.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are a healthy snack for patients undergoing chemotherapy. They contain antioxidants and vitamin E, that aids in reducing the inflammation of the body.
- Nuts: The nuts help fight the free radicals and remove toxins from the body. The patient may have to wait before the chemotherapy. If they want a snack, they can eat a handful of nuts to provide the body with vitamins and minerals.
- Meat Broth: The patient may not be able to consume solid food after the chemotherapy due to mouth sores. In such a case, it is beneficial to consume meat broth, as it will help the patient remain hydrated. Also, it will provide the body with the essential nutrient to function adequately.
- Eggs: The proteins and fats help the person remain active and deal with fatigue. The patient remains inactive due to weakness. It is essential to add eggs to breakfast as it helps them remain proactive throughout the day. The patient requires muscle mass to overcome the side effects of the chemotherapy. Hence, they should eat an omelet or boiled eggs to cope with the side effects.
- Avocados: The patient is more likely to lose interest in food, which may cause further health deterioration. Hence, opting for the food items that contain most of the nutrients is beneficial. Avocados are commonly known as the nutritional powerhouse, as they contain fat, fiber, and other nutrients essential to maintaining bodily functions. The cancer patient is more likely to suffer from side effects of chemotherapy, such as swelling, sores, and constipation. The use of avocados daily can help deal with constipation. Aldo, the avocados are soft and easier to consume with mouth sores.
- Oatmeal: The patient undergoing chemotherapy remains lethargic and weak throughout the treatment. Caregivers must monitor their diet. They should make sure that the patient is consuming enough food to regulate bodily functions. Oatmeal is a rich source of carbohydrates, proteins, and antioxidants. It helps in bowel movement, reduces inflammation, and enhances skin health. Additionally, it contains beta-glucan, which bacteria has proven effective in improving gut health. Most patients suffer from dry mouth and sores that can cause pain and discomfort. The person cannot consume spicy food due to mouth sores. The creamy textures of oats are easy to eat. The patient can add honey or maple syrup to enhance the taste.
Cancer patients who notice the change in their weight should consult a nutritionist in Islamabad. The specialist will provide information regarding the dietary guidelines that will help them remain active and cope with the bodily changes.